As a result of our continuing growth, Rhombus Energy Solutions, Inc. Rhombus is seeking a seasoned, results-oriented, and self-motivated individual with Power Electronics and Firmware design experience to join our Engineering Team. This position will report to the VP of Engineering and will be a member of the development team working on advanced high-power energy storage bi-directional inverters ranging from 20kW to 1MW. The candidate will perform a variety of tasks including but not limited to hardware and firmware design, analysis, modeling, simulation, code base development, debugging, testing, and validation of prototypes.
Our ideal candidate is a true team player as well as a precise and thoughtful communicator that is adept in a multi-cultural environment. This position will interface daily with our Design Center in India and our San Diego engineering team while operating together with our team in Dearborn, MI. Positions available in both San Diego, CA and Dearborn, MI.
REQUIRED credentials & experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Expert knowledge/usage of Simulink / Matlab
- Minimum 8 years applicable experience
- Experienced with DSP TI microcontrollers / architectures
- Experienced with C code development for Power Electronics applications
- Experienced with CAN, I2C, RS485, RS232 communication hardware and firmware.
- Experience with EEPROMs, Analog to Digital Converters, Digital to Analog Converters, op amp-based analog signal conditioning circuitry and the interfacing of these circuitry to a DSP or microcontroller
- Experienced in the use and application of Z-domain and S-domain analysis to optimize digital and analog control loops
- Experienced with firmware-based phase-locked loops, RTOs or kernel
- Ability to derive a system-level firmware architecture based on system and board-level schematics
- Technical with strong analytical skills
- Ability to quickly digest and understand FW codes and HW designs originated by others and the willingness to assume full ownership
- Highly proactive and has an inherent sense of urgency on all tasks presented
- Demonstrated ability to complete product from conception, development to production.
- Working knowledge of Windows based application software such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project, Visio, Spice, Mathcad, Altium
Desirable experience but not required:
- Master of Science Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Knowledge of Altium & SolidWorks
- Experience with power electronics requirements per international regulatory and product safety standards.
- Knowledge of Signal conditioning, Sampling, and Digital Signal Analysis, and thermal design.
- Well-rounded knowledge of power electronics mechanical packaging, heat-sink design, airflow, and high power density experience.
- Knowledge of PCB manufacturing process including assembly. Working knowledge in the power conversion for redundant and non-redundant systems
- Working knowledge of circuit theories, topologies, and the application of high frequency and high power density switch-mode power electronics
- Working experience with all commonly used topologies including buck, boost, buck-boost derivatives; fly-back converters, forward converters, push-pull, half-bridge, full bridge.
- Working experience with line frequency inverters
- Skilled in analog and digital control loop compensation/optimization and analysis.
- Skilled in magnetic designs (transformers, inductors, filters)
- Experienced in comprehensive hardware/firmware testing at bench and system level.
- Working experience with power BJT, Triac, SCR, MOSFET, IGBT devices.
- Working knowledge of Texas Instruments family of DSPs (TMS320F28035, TMS320F2808, TMS320F2407, etc.) and assembly language.
- Familiar with CPLD architectures and designs
- Familiar with battery charging/management systems
- Ability to ensure designs and improvements are made in an efficient, cost effective and timely manner meeting customer goals.
- Hands on and able to use common HW & FW test and development tools, such as JTAG emulators, digital oscilloscopes, digital multi-meters, soldering-iron, etc.
- Familiarity with International Product Safety Regulatory standards (IEC60950), EN61000 Standard and their military equivalent.
Rhombus Energy Solutions is a growing company with a results-oriented culture that compels excellence, agility, and the desire to move quickly and precisely to seize opportunities. Our environment is both challenging and supportive – we give employees the opportunity to develop their skills and do their best work.
Rhombus offers a total compensation package that is competitive and includes
paid vacation and Federal holidays, 401(k) plan, medical, dental & vision insurance. Candidates wishing to apply should send their resume and cover letter indicating salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org